- This event has passed.
8 November @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am£35
Settlement Agreements are legally binding documents which tie up the payments from an employer and arrangements on termination of employment in exchange for certain promises from an employee. Crucially, the promise not to bring any Tribunal Claims against their employer. They are governed by certain statutory rules. Employers can also use a Settlement Agreement to wrap up other commercial considerations.
In this session we will cover:
- When and why settlement agreements are needed
- Protected Conversations and ‘Without Prejudice’ negotiations
- The scope of a settlement agreement – what can and can’t be compromised
- Contractual entitlements
- Outstanding bonus payments
- Extending employee benefits beyond termination
- Returning (or allowing an employee to keep) company property
- Share option issues (deeming employee to be a good leaver)
- Clawback provisions
- Apology, reference and announcement
- No derogatory statements
- Outplacement counselling
- Warranties on pre-dismissal conduct and new employment
- Restrictive covenants
- Post-termination consultancy arrangements
- Overview of tax treatment of compensation
- The £30,000 exemption – PILON vs. damages for breach of contract and proposed changes in 2018
- The role of the Independent Advisor and contribution towards fees
- Reaffirmation Certificates
- Settlement agreements vs. COT3s
This course is for people managers who want to understand the use, framework and mechanics of settlement agreements better.
To book your place, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0115 870 0150, we look forward to seeing you there.